Vitejte

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
"The two elements the traveler first captures in the big city are extra human architecture and further rhythm. Geometry and anguish. At first glance, the rhythm may be confused with gaiety, but when you look more closely at the mechanism of social life and the painful slavery of both men and machines, you see that it is nothing but a kind of typical, empty anguish that makes even crime and gangs forgivable means of escape."-Federico Garcia Lorca

6.23.2010

Noche de Tapas en Madrid



A perfect evening in Madrid! Josep and I decided to go out to this Tapas bar by La Puerta del Sol in Madrid, not too far from the hostel/hotel we were staying at. This is where I was introduced to what would soon become one of my favorite seafood creatures, Angulas, better known in the U.S. and other English-speaking countries as Baby Eels. That's right, that delicious fresh baguette slice is topped with hundreds of exquisite baby eels soaked in Olive Oil straight from the country with some of the best purveyors of this liquid gold in the world. At first, I have to admit, I was a bit mortified by the sight of what looked like nothing more than a bunch of worms. After my first bite, I realized it wasn't too bad. After a few more bites of it, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately though, in these come with a big price tag. Not too long ago I tried to order a can of real Angulas but then decided not to when I realized that I was about to pay over $70 for one friggin can. That's right folks, say hello to the new caviar. Of course, they have these other Angulas impostors that are made from god-knows-what type of cheap fish. Think of imitation crab meat versus Alaskan King Crab. . . . yeah, NO comparison if you're a true fan. These can run you anywhere from $20-$30.

And now to remove the spotlight from the Angulas, we move on to the rest which is just your typical Pulpo(octopus), Croquetas, Boquerones(anchovies), some sort of fish that I forget, Calamares(must I really?), Chorizo(spicy spanish sausage), Gambas(shrimp wrapped in some sort of wonton wrap), and Embutido(sausage). It was all delicious, and the company couldn't be any better

No comments: